Walter's DConf 2014 Talks - Topics in Finance

aldanor via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 22 11:25:49 PST 2014

On Monday, 22 December 2014 at 17:28:39 UTC, Daniel Davidson
wrote:
I don't see D attempting to tackle that at this point.
> If the bulk of the work for the "data sciences" piece is the
> maths, which I believe it is, then the attraction of D as a
> "data sciences" platform is muted. If the bulk of the work is
> preprocessing data to get to an all numbers world, then in that
> space D might shine.
That is one of my points exactly -- the "bulk of the work", as
you put it, is quite often the data processing/preprocessing
pipeline (all the way from raw data parsing, aggregation,
validation and storage to data retrieval, feature extraction, and
then serialization, various persistency models, etc). One thing
is fitting some model on a pandas dataframe on your lap in an
ipython notebook, another thing is running the whole pipeline on
massive datasets in production on a daily basis, which often
involves very low-level technical stuff, whether you like it or
not. Coming up with cool algorithms and doing fancy maths is fun
and all, but it doesn't take nearly as much effort as integrating
that same thing into an existing production system (or developing
one from scratch). (and again, production != execution in this
context)

wrote:
> What is a backtesting system in the context of Winton Capital?
> Is it primarily a mathematical backtesting system? If so it
> still may be better suited to platforms focusing on maths.
Disclaimer: I don't work for Winton :) Backtesting in trading is
usually a very CPU-intensive (and sometimes RAM-intensive) task
that can be potentially re-run millions of times to fine-tune
some parameters or explore some sensitivities. Another common
task is reconciling with how the actual trading system works
which is a very low-level task as well.