Do everything in Java…

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 23 06:27:37 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 23 December 2014 at 13:56:51 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Monday, 22 December 2014 at 21:05:22 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> C and C++ are becoming a niche languages in distributed
>> computing systems.
>>

> That is quite a claim.
>
> Even with new java feature, you'll certainly reduce java's
> indirection addiction to some extent, but that won't give you
> control of data layout, which is one of the highest criteria
> when it comes to speed (because you fit more in cache).
>
> Granted, when it come to distributed computing, you have many
> problem to manage (network, node failing, sheduling, ...) and
> how much you can feed to the CPU is one criterion amongst
> others.
>
> I also concede that making thing in Java and getting them fast
> enough is a much easier job than it is in C++.

It is as you say, the problems to solve around the application
have a bigger impact than the language itself.

On our use cases, a few hundred ms are acceptable as response
times, so it isn't worth developer time to squeeze every ms out
of the CPU.

My claim is based on the fact, that on my little enterprise world
I see C++ being stuffed inside legacy boxes in architecture
diagrams.

C++ code is equated with CORBA and DCOM components that are still
somehow kept alive.

--
Paulo