What is the D plan's to become a used language?

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 23 09:01:02 PST 2014

On Mon, 2014-12-22 at 23:46 +0200, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> […]
> matters. oh, really? Go can magically do all header parsing,
> database management and other things for me? or we talking about
> "echo" servers?

What happened was that a lot of people interested in all this HTTP
bullshit, SQL dross, UI using Qt, and Go, and wrote a lot of libraries
that everyone can use. So yes Go can do all that magic stuff – not
just echo servers.

> Go is just hyped, that's all. there is NOTHING hard in creating
> simple HTTP(S) server with templated pages, forms and data
> processing with vibe.d. hey, it even has a sample of such server out
> of the box! it's dead easy. and vibe.d can utilize threads to use
> all CPU cores (you will lost some handyness here, but hey: don't use
> global variables! ;-).

I have no doubt that Vibe.d can do this. If there was a way of mocking
(so that you can run integration tests without the actual network)
with Vibe.d I would be having a play with it, but there isn't, so I am
not.

> even adding the whole Go to D will not make D overtake Go. Go is
> hyped. D is not. that's all.

At this stage hype or not is a complete irrelevance, the point is that
Go has a lot of people writing a lot of software for wide availability
and use. D…is probably a far better language, but…

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk