What is the D plan's to become a used language?

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 23 11:13:50 PST 2014

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 17:01:02 +0000
Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-12-22 at 23:46 +0200, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > […]
> > matters. oh, really? Go can magically do all header parsing,
> > database management and other things for me? or we talking about
> > "echo" servers?
>
> What happened was that a lot of people interested in all this HTTP
> bullshit, SQL dross, UI using Qt, and Go, and wrote a lot of libraries
> that everyone can use. So yes Go can do all that magic stuff – not
> just echo servers.
and so D. and i still has to learn libraries for all that. yet people
talking Go being magic bullet: just use concurency and that's all!

nope. that's not all. that's not even the biggest part.

> I have no doubt that Vibe.d can do this. If there was a way of mocking
> (so that you can run integration tests without the actual network)
> with Vibe.d I would be having a play with it, but there isn't, so I am
> not.
isn't localhost enough? sure, you can test all the logic without
network at all, and then use some of the available packages to test web
part.

> > even adding the whole Go to D will not make D overtake Go. Go is
> > hyped. D is not. that's all.
>
> At this stage hype or not is a complete irrelevance, the point is that
> Go has a lot of people writing a lot of software for wide availability
> and use. D…is probably a far better language, but…
but it has no Google behind. the recipe is simple and easy:
1. take gw-basic.
2. take Google.
3. let Google to throw money into gw-basic hype.
4. people start writing alot of software in gw-basic.

there is no direct corellation between "being good in technical sense"
and "being successfull". but there is such corellation between
"advertising by Big Player" and "being successfull".

most people are morons. i'm not talking about Go uses here, not at all,
i'm talking about the attitude like "everybody talking about X! Big
Player supporting X! X is great!" here X can be anything.