What is the D plan's to become a used language?

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 23 13:48:19 PST 2014

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 21:05:04 +0000
via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 23 December 2014 at 20:36:35 UTC, ketmar via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > all that cloudy thing is another hype. ;-)
> It is hyped, but it is going to grow since businesses can save
> money on it. HP's The Machine also appears to be cloud centric.
> It is pretty much well established across the board as the future
> of computing.
i've heard this before. you know, "mainframes will die, personal
computers is the future of computing". and now i see "the revenge of
mainframes". i bet we'll see another wave of this, this time with
"decentralized networks" (nope, "clouds" are not about that).

> > ahem... encryption algorithms are platform-independent. and
> > your server
> > is running on known platform. am i missing something here?
> Not a big deal, but I'd rather have the same symmetric encryption
> code on all platforms and be sure that the implementation is 100%
> compatible with no corner cases.
NaCl/libsodium is your friend! ;-)

> Having only one option is good enough for a hobby project. Having
> only one option when you have signed a contract is a liability.
seeing the kind of people using Go and other overhyped things... i'd
better go with one C library than with 100 Go libraries. ;-)

> > the solution is easy: don't use things that have no C
> > libraries. C is "linuga franca" in this case.
> If the customer wants a full featured web-forum for support
> integrated into his marketing web site... what options do you
> actually have?
don't work with that customer. that is exactly what we doing: either we
do things our way or simply don't take the work.

> We are all morons by thinking that morons cannot create great
> things...
morons can create great things. the trouble is that morons don't know
how to use the things they created. ;-)