What is the D plan's to become a used language?

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 24 12:50:17 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 24 December 2014 at 05:26:21 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> for me the biggest trouble is that your things looks handy and
> unencumbered, and it's hard to resist the temptation to write
> my own versions.

That's part of why I do it the way I do: you are hopefully able
to customize the code just using mine as a starting point for
your own hack jobs. I kinda assume everyone who wants to use them
takes a look through the source - that's why I leave comments!
(and my lack of traditional documentation means eyeballing the
source (or asking me) is really the only way to find the hidden
features anyway)

> you know, "it looks so easy that i MUST write
> my own variant". can you please make your interfaces convoluted
> and heavy-weight? ;-)

But then even I would get annoyed with them and just write a
simpler version anyway!

This is how I pick libraries:

try
      solveMyProblem(close_to_exactly);
catch(Exception e)
      writeln("this library sucks");
finally {
      do it myself with exactly what i need and little more
}

Yes, DIY is finally :P Unless the lib actually happens to solve
what I want exactly and has no other hassle... which basically
never happens... I end up doing it myself whether it sucks or is
actually OK.

y'all should do it too, it is informative!