My wish for 2015...

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 25 16:25:11 PST 2014

On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 00:13:57 +0000
Tobias Pankrath via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 26 December 2014 at 00:05:49 UTC, Xinok wrote:
> > On Thursday, 25 December 2014 at 20:00:43 UTC, Martin Nowak
> > wrote:
> >> On Thursday, 25 December 2014 at 14:55:32 UTC, Xinok wrote:
> >> Ah OK, thought you had problems with stale stack values.
> >> False pointers were discussed here
> >> https://youtu.be/LQY1m_eT37c?t=23m0s, but it's an issue that
> >> only affects few programs (32-bit with floats or random data
> >> in GC scanned memory). So unless we can use precise GC info to
> >> speed up marking, it will be a lot of work with little impact,
> >> even more since we have Win64 support.
> >
> > Any program that processes significant amounts of information,
> > such as scientific data, images, or videos, is likely to
> > experience issues with the conservative GC.
>
> Would a well supported RC scheme be better than a precise GC for
> these use cases?
it depends of many things, including data allocation and access
patterns. for some of them precise generational GC can be a much better
choice, as it can discards the whole pages of "newdead" objects without
scanning.

yet we need some read or write barriers for this, preferably with
support from the compiler.