Chapel vs D

bearophile via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 26 10:38:41 PST 2014

Israel:

> I think the languages out there with the cleanest looking syntax
> is C# and similarly Java.

Haskell and Python have a much cleaner syntax compared to
C#/Java. But sometimes in Haskell you don't have enough anchor
points to quickly understand what the code means. So I think the
modern F# syntax is a good compromise.

> In C# i would use something like:
>
> int ThisNumber;
> ThisNumber = Console.ReadLine();
>
> in D it looks worse with its "old" way of doing it:
>
> int thisNumber
> readf("%s", &thisNumber);

Do you want to use a "%d"?

A more common way to do it in D is something like:

auto inLines = readln.byLine;
immutable thisNumber = inLines.front.to!int;
inLines.popFront;

> The point is, I agree. Syntax like this is so terrible to look
> at it hurts. I feel like i lose 10 minutes of my lifespan every
> time i look at this.

It's also a lot a matter of getting used to it.

Bye,
bearophile