Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Dec 28 21:43:04 PST 2014

On 12/20/2014 6:04 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2014-12-19 20:20, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> No. It's attributable to I use different methods of debugging.
>>
>> The dmd source code is littered with debugging aids I've written. The
>> classic example is having a pretty-printer for each data structure. I
>> don't find the typical debugger pretty-printer to be adequate at all -
>> they never dump the type in the way that I think about the type.
>
> It can still be handy with a debugger. If you have written a custom
> pretty-printer you can still call that one from the debugger.
>
> In LLDB it's possible to write custom formatters/pretty-printer for your own types.

Often I'll pipe the pretty-printed debug output to a file, as it can be
voluminous, and then actually edit the file to bring out what I need.

Not possible with a debugger.

(dmd can have pretty complex relationships between data structures and the path
through the code. I might want to look at these fields of a type, but not those
fields. Etc. I.e. I routinely build custom debugging aids for particular problems.)