Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 29 01:35:16 PST 2014

On 29 December 2014 at 03:52, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 12/28/14 6:43 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>> On 27 December 2014 at 02:21, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d
>> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

>>> I thought the std.algorithm stuff is decently documented. What would be
>>> the
>>> major pain points? -- Andrei
>>>

>> The first line of text respectively:
>>
>> C#:
>>    public static void Sort<T>(T[] array)
>>
>> D:
>>    SortedRange!(Range, less) sort(alias less = "a < b", SwapStrategy ss
>> = SwapStrategy.unstable, Range)(Range r) if ((ss ==
>> SwapStrategy.unstable && (hasSwappableElements!Range ||
>> hasAssignableElements!Range) || ss != SwapStrategy.unstable &&
>> hasAssignableElements!Range) && isRandomAccessRange!Range &&
>> hasSlicing!Range && hasLength!Range);
>>

>> I'm sure you can see the problem...
>

> Thanks, following your feedback I have recently submitted an enhancement
> request. Just for the sake of humblebragging, C#'s sort works only on arrays
> whereas D's sort (a) returns a statically-informed sorted range with
> specific primitives, (b) is configurable to use a custom predicate, (c)
> allows stability selection, (d) works for any range satisfying certain
> requirements. Yay...? :o)
>
> Andrei

The new layout solves half the problem in that it hides the template
constraints.

http://dlang.org/library/std/algorithm/sort.html

Shouldn't our focus also be to get the new layout out of "preview"
mode and do our standardization of documentation from there?

By the way, I would also nick pick on top of Manu's suggestion that
the short description for sort() is just "Sorts".  I'm sure this can
be expanded to more than one word and less than twelve.

Iain.