Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Gary Willoughby via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 29 07:18:56 PST 2014

On Monday, 29 December 2014 at 14:45:37 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> [...]
> soon, right?
>
> And yes, D is probably least staffed language development
> project among non-hobby projects.
>
>> If I contributed code to DMD, I know it will become my life,
>> and that
>> means I'm stepping away from my existing interests and areas of
>> development. I'm not interested in doing that.
>
> Then you will have to wait until someone appears who have same
> interests as you but IS willing to start contributing.
>
>> Surely you can understand that my desire to *use* D as a tool
>> is not
>> at odds with my desire to continue to work in the fields that
>> I prefer
>> to work in?
>
> I am simply telling that D is not ready to be used in your
> industry if you are adamant about such desire. Sad but true.
> And by complaining you don't improve situation as a whole but
> simply force redistribution of already existing set of limited
> resources.
>
>>> I keep asking you simple question you avoid answering - who
>>> personally
>>> should work to address your concerns? Those are all legit
>>> concerns and I
>>> doubt anyone would willingly prefer to keep things as they
>>> are. But who will
>>> do it if apparently you are the person who needs it most and
>>> you don't want
>>> to do it?
>>
>> Any of the existing dev's that particularly care about the
>> long-term
>> success of the language and the health of the ecosystem?
>> Perhaps new dev's will be attracted by making the ecosystem
>> inclusive
>> of their work and development practice. That tends to be the
>> way open
>> source works no?
>
> No, not really. Open source is about people working to fulfill
> their own personal goals and not minding to share resulting
> code if it doesn't mean much added effort. Only few care about
> things like long-term success and only tiny minority will be
> interested in working on ecosystem they don't use.
>
> Motivation you speak about has its place but it is more of a
> "luxury" contribution that only happens after primary concerns
> are dealt with. It just happens that if some open-source
> project is big and mature enough there is a very high chance
> that your problems are already addressed by someone else. That
> gives a wrong impression to those who mostly use open-source
> and rarely contribute.
>
>> I'm glad you work on the compiler, the community needs people
>> like you
>> more than anyone...
>
> I don't really work on compiler, sorry :)
>
>> although I'm not sure about your attitude. Right
>> now, I'm finding it quite corrosive.
>
> Being all kind and nice is not really in my skill set. I hope I
> have explained better my dislike for this specific set of
> complaints despite the fact I usually tend to support your

This is probably the most disgusting, selfish and deluded posts
i've read on this entire newsgroup.

If D is supposed to supplant C/C++, then the needs of those users
*must* be met, especially without deriding those very users. Just
because you work on the D ecosystem does not give you 'carte
blanche' to tell a user to stop making enquiries into features
that are promised by D.

The user is the entire goal of D! Forgetting this relegates D to
obscurity and makes you look like an ass.

> No, not really. Open source is about people working to fulfill
> their own personal goals and not minding to share resulting
> code if it doesn't mean much added effort. Only few care about
> things like long-term success and only tiny minority will be
> interested in working on ecosystem they don't use.

With that paragraph, you've just dumped on Walter, Andrei's and
all other open source contributor's efforts for the past n years!