Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 29 07:34:43 PST 2014

On Monday, 29 December 2014 at 15:18:57 UTC, Gary Willoughby
wrote:
> This is probably the most disgusting, selfish and deluded posts
> i've read on this entire newsgroup.

I am pretty sure I have written worse.

> If D is supposed to supplant C/C++, then the needs of those
> users *must* be met, especially without deriding those very
> users. Just because you work on the D ecosystem does not give
> you 'carte blanche' to tell a user to stop making enquiries
> into features that are promised by D.
>
> The user is the entire goal of D! Forgetting this relegates D
> to obscurity and makes you look like an ass.

This is widely advertised statement I can't agree with. For me
goal is having working language that works. Getting users is
indirect way to achieve that by attracting more contributions but
user just by itself has not value to _me_. It is obviously
important for Andrei and Walter as D is their project. There are
some other contributors which keep being productive despite no
obvious personal gain. I admire and respect them but I am not
them.

And I really hate the culture of hiding own interests just to
look all nice.

>> No, not really. Open source is about people working to fulfill
>> their own personal goals and not minding to share resulting
>> code if it doesn't mean much added effort. Only few care about
>> things like long-term success and only tiny minority will be
>> interested in working on ecosystem they don't use.
>
> With that paragraph, you've just dumped on Walter, Andrei's and
> all other open source contributor's efforts for the past n
> years!

How so? Walter and Andrei are not open-source contributors - D is
_their_ project. There are some incredible open-source
contributors like Kenji, Martin, Vladimir, Daniel - guys with
incredible productivity that don't mind help anyone. This is
exactly the (awesome) minority. But most people just work on
projects they are interested in and occasionally contribute stuff
back.

Do you disagree that this is the model of D developer community?
Or am I the ass because I write it down here instead of acting
all idealistic and inspirational?