Lost a new commercial user this week :(

Gary Willoughby via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 29 12:09:08 PST 2014

On Monday, 29 December 2014 at 19:34:52 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> please, explain me, *whose* exactly post was "disgusting,
> selfish and
> deluded"? 'cause now i'm completely lost.

Ok, i will explain because i think my point should be made clear
and because this thread is giving valuable feedback (from Manu)
to the D community about a missed opportunity in industry!

I have no argument with people contributing to D to further their
interests. That is what (i'm guessing) pushes most open source
projects forward. What i firmly object to and what i find very
degrading is that because certain people make contributions to D
it gives them such arrogance as to espouse their personal
motivations as the overall goal and motivations of D. Also in the
process trying to persuade other (non-contributing) users that
their expectations are illegitimate or somehow lesser in
importance.

D, as a project, already has a firmly entrenched goal and it's
motivation is to reach that goal. Anyone contributing to D must
acknowledge that goal and be prepared to sustain it through their
contributions. The goal is set by Walter and Andrei. The goals
are (mostly) outlined here: http://dlang.org/overview.html

When someone enquires about the progress of a particular feature
they do not need to hear "contribute or gtfo". What they need is
a civil answer preferably pointing to a roadmap.

Some recent users are becoming very vocal, especially regarding
memory allocation regarding GC, RC, etc. because D is being
pushed towards the C++ crowd and this is what they expect to be
able to control. It is marketed as a system programming language,
like it or not.  These users expect full control. Of course this
is a work in progress. (@nogc, etc.) I know that, you know that,
but they don't. Please don't say "I contribute and you don't so
shut up". It make the entire community look like massive dicks.

Yes, i know that some users are always pushing for the same
features to be implemented and others just what some features to
be actually finished, me too! but this is no reason to give them
attitude and tell them to contribute or gtfo. Some people just
aren't capable of contributing (me included). But that doesn't
render their requests moot! Especially when their expectations
are included in the goals of D.

I want to contribute, i want to push D forward, i'm slowly
educating myself to a standard where i'm comfortable to be able
to do so. This constant attitude however just makes me want to
concentrate on other languages.