Worst Phobos documentation evar!

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 29 16:10:35 PST 2014

On 12/29/2014 3:47 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> We've already had to resort to $(COMMA) hacks to work around comma
> issues in Phobos docs. :-(

It's not a hack. The macro system is designed to work that way. All markup
systems require some sort of escape mechanism. Including Markup.

> Not to mention that as it stands, ddoc is only really convenient for
> HTML output; while it's certainly *possible* to target it for non-HTML
> output, it's a pain.

More correctly, Ddoc works well for any markup that has a fundamentally nested
structure. LaTeX does not. But at least you can make it work with LaTeX. Whatcha
gonna do with Markdown?

Ddoc has worked extremely well for being adaptible for different HTML output -
like the online docs have undergone numerous facelifts while requiring zero
changes to the Ddoc source code. It also has been able to generate ebooks from
the documentation, again with zero source code changes, just a new set of macro
definitions.

CandyDoc has been done with it, also with zero source changes.