Worst Phobos documentation evar!

Kiith-Sa via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 29 19:13:47 PST 2014

> As opposed to some other markup language. You're always going
> to have 20 such markup instances, one way or another.

There's a big difference between the amount of visual noise
between different instances. I'm using D for 5 years and when I
still find DDoc laced with $(LI $(B bold) $(D code)) hard to read.

>> And there's no way to make lists or tables readable:
>
> Yes, there is. I just showed you.

I don't consider that to be readable, especially, as I mentioned,
if the items are long lines of non-plain text.

> No matter what form Ddoc takes, it will force some method upon
> users. However, you can use Doxygen on .d sources if you prefer.

I don't use it because it doesn't *really* understand D.
I'm not arguing for Doxygen's syntax / D support or lack thereof.
I'm arguing for its user experience.

> The D language has a use for most every character, so escapes
> will be needed a lot.

D blocks in DDoc are usually in:

---
code here
---

With a Markdown-like syntax, inline code could  be in `inline
code here` .
I admit you would need to escape the backticks, which are very
rare,
especially in inline code fragments. I also admit *that* would
force you
to not reliably use *some* D code fragments *outside* backticks.
And I
find it unlikely that there are more than 3 fragments in entire
Phobos doc
this would break.

>> to be usable, documentation must be as simple to generate as:
>>
>>   doxygen Doxyfile
>
>     dmd -D source.d

The result takes a shitload of work to make it useful, especially
if
your project has more than 1 module (and no, passing more files
won't help
with that).
THIS is useful (it's very close to what Doxygen spits out by
default):

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/docu/index.html

D claims to have a builtin documentation generator, but you can
either spend a week searching for nonexistent documentation about
how to make decent documentation *or* you can get a third-party
documentation generator, which is the same experience you get
with C++ and Doxygen.

> The only place anyone has to use Ddoc is in the Phobos
> documentation. If Doxygen is better, more convenient, etc., why
> aren't you using it? Ddoc must be doing something right :-)

I'm modifying a third-party documentation generator to support
Markdown and to get decent "Doxygen doxyfile" user experience
right now.