Nicer anchors

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 29 20:27:32 PST 2014

On 12/29/14 6:18 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30 December 2014 at 00:19:54 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Please destroy
>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/734 -- Andrei
>
> I'm not sure using numbers to distinguish overloads is a good idea. Such
> links would break easily.
>
> Since you seem to have time to work on the presentation of the
> documentation, I must ask: what's the current status of DDox? IIRC, the
> effort was mainly hampered by there being no one to update the software
> on the website, and you had neither time to do it yourself nor time to
> delegate the responsibility to someone else.

Some support for dub exists but needs some tender love and care. dub is
present under github.com/D-Programming-Language, but (unlike is the case
for dmd/druntime/phobos) the dub project is not automatically checked
out and built as a dependency.

As a rule of thumb, anyone should get the project and be able to type
"make" and get things build. I've done my best to achieve that and keep
it working, breaking things on occasion but not too often. Sadly others
tend to be more cavalier about changing makefiles, and with every change
to them things seem to get worse in one way or another. Building things
with dub is not easily achievable right now. Right now it fails on my
machine with this message:
http://paste.ofcode.org/W4QYryFttXLUm9z3GV2RbN. To fix things now I'd
need to essentially embark on a project. I hope to convince Martin Nowak
or someone else to do so.

There is a possible response on my part that is unsettlingly appealing,
and that is frustration. After all _anyone_ concerned with the state of
ddox could check for themselves in less than a minute by attempting to
build the docs. The irritation pattern that seems to be present in this
group as of late only invites more of it.

The better route out of this is to kindly invite contributors who added
ddox support, and all others who are interested, to improve ddox build
to the point of making it robustly usable. I trust you are out there
reading this. Thanks.

Andrei