GSOC - Holiday Edition

Craig Dillabaugh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 30 19:25:52 PST 2014

I was hoping folks to take a brief break from bickering about
features, and arguing over which posters have been naughty, and
which have been nice, to get a bit of input on our 2015 Google
Summer of Code Proposal  ... :o)

First off, I've been able to get some work done on the Idea's
page, it is here:

http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2015_Ideas

This is the most important part of our submission, but we are
also supposed to submit a organizational proposal.  I've started
on this too (still under construction, and have put it on Github
at:

https://github.com/craig-dillabaugh/dlang-gsoc2015

Any feedback is welcome.

There are currently six project proposals.  I think it would be
good to have one or two more, and the ones that are there need a
bit of polishing. A lot of what is there is stuff I have
'harvested' from previous proposals. For the GDC and Bare Metal
D/Arm Support projects I am not even sure if the items listed are
still needed since these are basically cut and paste jobs from 1
or 2 years ago.

A few specific questions that I need answered.

General Questions

1) I would like to include bio's for the mentors.  I have a very
short one for Iain (which I stole from DConf) and a line on
Deadalinx, but that is about that.  If you are a mentor I would
really appreciate a brief 3-4 line bio. I think this makes our
'ideas' page stand out from others I have seen. Any mentors
please provide bios, or if you are uncomfortable with that please
let me know.

2) For all projects, in addition to mentor bios I want to have a
section on what students should know (or be willing to learn),
you can see SDC for an example. Could other potential mentors
please fill me on your projects.  Basically, if you can give
pointers to a few good resources for someone interested in your
project that would be great.

3) I would like to have a 'backup' mentor for each project.  Any
volunteers! I think we have enough for the Phobos project, but
other projects could really use something.

4) Finally, I should have a backup administrator.  Any volunteers
for that.

Questions for Specific Individuals

5) For GDC, can Iain (or someone else related to that project)
update the wiki, post something here, or get in touch with me to
update the project proposal.

6) See #2 for Martin Nowak and the Bare Metal D/Arm projects.

7) Bruno Medeiros - you suggested a DDT project. I've added it.
Can you provide me with a few more details, and a bio.   Also,
under what license is DDT released, I couldn't access any code on
your GitHub page to check this.

8) Russel Winder and QML ... see #4.

9) For the Phobos proposal, most of this is scrapped from last
years proposal and from posts on the form by Jens and Russel.
Are the libraries I've listed indeed the ones in need of the most
attention. What about std.xml and std.json?

10) Rikki had mentioned a 'Web Development' project, but I don't
have enough to post on the project ideas page.  Are you still
interested in doing this.

Hope that everyone has a great 2015, and I look forward to your
feedback.

Cheers,

Craig