Worst Phobos documentation evar!

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 31 02:06:45 PST 2014

On 31 December 2014 at 16:28, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> Remember that UDAs and even Win64 are supported because of your influence.
> That's actually a pretty nice track record! You've also contributed about 6
> pull requests, 5 of which have been merged.
>
> I made a forceinline proposal at your request, but it sank under the weight
> of controversy over how to do it.

I don't think I was trying to dismiss those things. They were 3-4
years ago and relatively uncontroversial, and already more or less
intended or discussed in the past, I managed to give them a priority
nudge. I hope they were all useful things; I know the win64 stuff in
particular has made D available to a lot of my friends and colleagues
to try out at least, and obviously, we were able to use it at Remedy
on the back of those features. UDAs comes up as useful tools all over
the place.

There seems to be nothing left from me that's uncontroversial. Are you
saying that if I worked on the stuff that I believe in, it would have
a greater chance of being accepted, despite being outright opposed in
conversation?

We're talking about stimulating contribution, and I have no idea what
I could contribute that would be accepted. And also detailing areas of
friction I experience (or perceive) when getting involved in the past.
The only thing that comes to mind is debugger related stuff, but I
know absolutely nothing about it and it seems like a very large time
investment to get up to speed on that stuff such that I could make any
useful fixes.
Both you and Rainer are more-or-less experts on CV8/PDB already.

I would certainly like to resurrect forceinline discussion, but I feel
like it's of lower priority than other topics that are receiving
attention at the moment, so it's probably better not to distract
attention from them for the time being.
I wasn't excited about the pragma approach myself, I can't see any
advantages... but I also wasn't particularly emotional about it, I'll
take what I can get on that front. It just seems like that approach
would lead to inconvenience, and possibly more edges to me. How can
you do anything generic or meta with a pragma? Yay for text mixins! ;)
There were others that felt more strongly about that one than me.