http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP25

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 31 13:08:28 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 31 December 2014 at 03:25:24 UTC, Manu via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> His point is similar to my other point elsewhere though. I
> don't think
> he's talking about 'power' in the sense you describe, what he's
> really
> talking about is consistency or uniformity. His original scope
> proposal wasn't 'powerful' (even though it was effectively more
> powerful), it was holistic, and without the edges that seem to
> have
> been introduced to try and 'contain the concept into a smaller
> space',
> if that makes sense.
>
> In this particular case, I think practical 'complexity' is being
> expressed in the form of awkward edge cases, and the reason that
> happened I suspect, is precisely what Andrei asked me to do;
> talk
> about the specific problem case, not the general problem that's
> recurring in numerous problem cases.
> I feel like the current proposals are to effectively add yet
> more
> edges to address specific cases, rather than removing the edges
> that
> are already present causing the problems in the first place.
> Address the problem, don't add layers of patches to round off
> rough edges.

This mostly matches my current opinion of DIP25 + DIP69 as well.
It is not as much problem of lacking power but utterly breaking
KISS principle - too many special cases to remember, too many
concepts to learn. Path of minimal necessary change is tempting
but it is path to C++.