Improving ddoc

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 31 16:44:32 PST 2014

I'd actually prefer to focus more on ddoc's unique strengths -
that it understands the compiler's scoping rules.

My #1 ddoc wish is not change to macro syntax (i prefer plain
text anyway)... my #1 wish is for all D symbols to be made
available to the output somehow, with their fully-qualified names
and or mangles.

Imagine how cool it would be if you could write

import std.stdio;
/**
    ---
       import std.path;
       File f = open(path.whatever());
    ---
*/
File open(string name);

And have it come out as:

/**
    ---
       $(D_CODE_KEYWORD import) ($D_CODE_IDENT std.path, std.path);
       $(D_CODE_IDENT std.stdio.File, File) f =
open(path.whatever());
    ---
*/
$(D_CODE_IDENT std.stdio.File, File) open(string name);

and so on and so forth.

then we could implement a macro or a "I feel lucky" style search
that links all those D_CODE_IDENT to the right places,
automatically.

I think that'd be pretty boss.