Worst Phobos documentation evar!

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 31 17:00:27 PST 2014

On Thursday, 1 January 2015 at 00:21:42 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> It's quite unfair to not bother with whitespace formatting in
> one but not the other. It's like the "before" and "after"
> advertisements for cosmetics where the "before" has uncombed
> hair, poor lighting, is frowning, didn't brush their teeth,
> frumpy clothes, etc., and you know what they did with the
> "after" picture.

It is the way original author has formatted. There is indentation
so must be not accidental.

> Furthermore, the person who wrote the Ddoc macros not only did
> not bother to format, he also used unnecessary markup - the
> $(ARGS) is redundant.

Probably because it is so hard to understand what is necessary
and what isn't?

> Making some effort myself:
>
> $(TABLE2 Kinds of Arrays,
>   $(THEAD Syntax            , Description
>     )
>   $(TROW  $(I type*)        , $(LINK2 #pointers, Pointers to
> data)  )
>   $(TROW  $(I type[integer]), $(LINK2 #static-arrays, Static
> arrays))
> )
>
> versus:
>
>  |Kinds of Arrays|
>  |---|
>  |Syntax|Description|
>  |-|
>  |`type*`|[Pointers to data](/arrays.html#pointers)|
>  |`type[integer]`|[Static arrays](/arrays.html#static-arrays)|

Second version still looks much more clear to me, despite
intentionally screwed formatting. It is a problem of
noise-to-content ratio and it is hard to compete with ASCII art
in terms of readability.