Smart pointers instead of GC?

develop32 develop32 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 06:39:21 PST 2014

On Saturday, 1 February 2014 at 14:24:17 UTC, Francesco Cattoglio
wrote:
> On Saturday, 1 February 2014 at 12:20:33 UTC, develop32 wrote:
>> On Saturday, 1 February 2014 at 12:04:56 UTC, JR wrote:
>>> In your opinion, of how much value would deadlining be? As
>>> in, "okay handyman, you may sweep the floor now BUT ONLY FOR
>>> 6 MILLISECONDS;
>>
>> Unrelated to the whole post note: 6ms is too high, I would
>> allow max 1ms a frame for a game I'm developing and even that
>> is somewhat painful.
>>
>> If I turn on GC on the game I'm making, it takes 80ms every
>> frame when memory usage is 800mb (shown on task manager). This
>> was actually surprising, previously it was 6ms, good that I
>> made my engine GC independent.
>
> Wow! That's interesting! What kind of game are you working on?

Don't want to reveal too much now, its early in development, plan
to have a proper trailer few months later.

Its an economical space sim, set in an asteroid field of 3000km
radius, filled with 100k asteroids, hundred stations and few
hundred AI ships. All of the characters/stations are simulated
simultaneously.

http://imgur.com/QAKzJWb