Smart pointers instead of GC?

Frustrated c1514843 at drdrb.com
Sat Feb 1 09:57:41 PST 2014

On Saturday, 1 February 2014 at 17:30:54 UTC, Sean Kelly wrote:
> On Saturday, 1 February 2014 at 11:40:37 UTC, Frustrated wrote:
>>
>> And why does Phobos/runtime require the GC in so many cases
>> when
>> it could just use an internal buffer? So much effort has been
>> put
>> in to make the GC work that it simply has neglected all those
>> that can't use it as it is.
>
> This is the crux of the problem.  It's not so much that D uses
> garbage collection as that Phobos is built in a way that
> prevents the reuse of existing buffers.  It becomes much harder
> to sell the language to a GC averse group if it turns out they
> can't use the standard library as well.  Though I guess Tango
> is an option here as a replacement.

Right, and because of the mentality that the GC is one size that
fits all, phobos got this way. That mentality is still pervasive.
I call it laziness.

I think that at some point phobos will need to be rewritten...
maybe more .net like(there sense of hierarchy and presentation is
excellent).  Maybe D needs a proper allocator sub system built in
to get to that point?