Smart pointers instead of GC?

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 20:23:35 PST 2014

On Sat, 01 Feb 2014 20:17:47 -0800, Frank Bauer <y at z.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, 2 February 2014 at 03:38:08 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
>> You have no idea if a library you are using is written using the GC.
>
> Well, the library writer might tell me, if she used GC(T) (the linker
> might as well) ...
>
>> If you don't use the GC, by definition it will not run, unless a
>> library you depend on uses it.
>
> big UNLESS!

Maybe, but my point is that even with no allocations in phobos, you'd have
to verify that ALL the libraries you use don't GC allocate. That's why so
many people in the ARC camp want to make it the only GC system in D.
Multiple GC systems increase your cognitive load considerably.

--
Adam Wilson
GitHub/IRC: LightBender