std.array.array broken?

Stanislav Blinov stanislav.blinov at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 03:49:10 PST 2014

On Sunday, 2 February 2014 at 01:03:25 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:

>> I would have had it my way, I would introduce:
>>
>> byLine -> safe, doesn't reuse a buffer
>> byLineBuffer -> reuses a buffer
>
> No. Too much breakage.

How exactly is it breakage? The user code:

- will not stop to compile
- will not stop to link
- will still produce expected results

The only thing that can "break" is that the user code will lose
performance where it actually does make an explicit copy. This
can be solved by introducing a message with pragma(msg),
directing users to get rid of unnecessary copying. The message
could stick around for several releases.