Disallow null references in safe code?

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Sun Feb 2 03:52:44 PST 2014

> I'm not sure how I feel about that, particularly since I haven't seen such
> data myself. My natural reaction when people complain about null pointer
> problems is that they're sloppy programmers (which isn't necessarily fair, but
> that's my natural reaction).

There is no such thing as 'naturality' that is magically able to justify
personal attacks in a technical discussion, even if qualified.

> I pretty much never have problems with null
> pointers and have never understood why so many people complain about them.

I guess it is usually some combination of:

Some projects feature more than one programmer.
Hard data.
Aesthetics. (The situation does not have to be unbearable in order to
improve it!)