D Logo and Slogan

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 11:52:00 PST 2014

On Sunday, 2 February 2014 at 00:26:44 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 02/02/2014 01:21 AM, Jesse Phillips wrote:
>>
>> Pretty sure "alias this" was actually a driving force. E.g
>>
>> "You should use alias this?"
>>
>> "How, I added alias this and it didn't compile?"
>>
>> "The syntax 'alias TheThingToAlias this'"
>>
>> "So not 'alias this' then."
>
> The syntax was actively removed.
>
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/1413
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/1685

Yes, "actively"

"It'd do this community a lot of good if people would stop
assuming malice when simple unawareness is far more likely. If
there's issues that should block releases, those that are aware
of the blockers really need to raise them. Don't assume that
every pull request and every thread is read by those that need to
see them."

Kenji was quite admit that it was a mistake, but not one person
agreed. The closest: "@9rnsr I agree with removing the syntax for
the time being." --Walter

I agree with Kenji that 'alias this' and 'alias symbol symbol'
are different. I don't agree an entirely new (old) syntax needs
to be used to distinguish them. I think it is syntactic overhead
which provides no benefit.

Though I could agree, explaining: 'alias this : symbol' isn't too
hard (this implicitly converses to symbol (i.e. it takes from the
is() and template expressions)

Personally I really want the old alias syntax to vanish. I hate
it, though I know it won't leave the language.