Smart pointers instead of GC?

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 13:06:23 PST 2014

On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 12:51:20 -0800, Andrei Alexandrescu

> On 2/3/14, 12:21 PM, Adam Wilson wrote:
>> On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 12:02:29 -0800, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

>>> I thought I made it clear that GC avoidance (which includes
>>> considering built-in reference counting) is a major focus of 2014.
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>>

>> Andrei, I am sorry to report that anything other than complete removal
>> of the GC and replacement with compiler generated ARC will be
>> unacceptable to a certain, highly vocal, subset of D users.
>
> Why would you be sorry? "It is what it is", "customer is always right"
> etc. If we deem that important then we should look into supporting that
> scenario.

There is a big difference between supporting a scenario, and forcing it
down everyone's throats as The One True Path. I would actually get out an
pull for supporting both, equally. Let me choose, I know more about the
memory usage patterns of my cloud-based service than a game developer
does. In some cases ARC is more efficient, in other cases, the extra
effort required is more than I care to pay my programmers for. In fact,
for all of our projects, the efficiency cost of the GC is microscopic
compared to having to pay the developer/time cost of ARC or Manual
management. There is a reason we are an exclusively C# shop right now. And
Apple/Obj-C has consistently proved that all the hype about ARC being more
efficient for free is untrue. There are plenty of complaints in that camp
about having to hunt down heisenleaks based on ARC leaking because
somebody forgot to mark something as weak.

>> No arguments
>> can be made to otherwise, regardless of validity. As far as they are
>> concerned the discussion of ARC vs. GC is closed and decided. ARC is the
>> only path forward to the bright and glorious future of D. ARC most
>> efficiently solves all memory management problems ever encountered.
>> Peer-Reviewed Research and the Scientific Method be damned! ALL HAIL
>> ARC!
>>
>> Sadly, although written as hyperbole, I feel that the above is fairly
>> close to the actual position of the ARC crowd.
>
> I'm going on a limb here, but it seems you're not convinced :o).
>

> Andrei

Hehe, you might say that. I did buy the GC Handbook to learn more about
GC's after all, not replace them with something that has demonstrable
drawbacks. :-)

--
Adam Wilson
GitHub/IRC: LightBender