Smart pointers instead of GC?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Mon Feb 3 17:02:06 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 4 February 2014 at 00:49:04 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> Ahem. Wrong. See: WinForms, WPF, Silverlight. All extremely
> successful GUI toolkits that are not known for GC related
> problems. I've been working with WPF since 2005, I can say the
> biggest performance problem with it by far is the naive
> rendering of rounded corners, the GC has NEVER caused a hitch.

According to Wikipedia:

«While the majority of WPF is in managed code, the composition
engine which renders the WPF applications is a native component.
It is named Media Integration Layer (MIL) and resides in
milcore.dll. It interfaces directly with DirectX and provides
basic support for 2D and 3D surfaces, timer-controlled
manipulation of contents of a surface with a view to exposing
animation constructs at a higher level, and compositing the
individual elements of a WPF application into a final 3D "scene"
that represents the UI of the application and renders it to the
screen.»

So, Microsoft does not think that GC is suitable for real time
interactive graphics. And they are right.