Smart pointers instead of GC?

Frustrated c1514843 at drdrb.com
Tue Feb 4 06:02:15 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 4 February 2014 at 13:18:51 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> There is a lot of discussion ongoing about ARC vs GC but in
> practice forcing either of those is unacceptable. Language that
> is strongly coupled with hard-coded memory model will
> inevitably fail in some domain.
>
> For me perfect solution would have been to use an allocator
> concept as language basis instead and let you chose any
> conformant allocator for built-in language features. With both
> GC and ARC available in Phobos / druntime.
>
> Bottom-Up design is simply superior to Top-Down when it comes
> to tools.

And who could disagree with that? Yet we have many ;/

I guess it's all about fear. There are people that use the GC and
think they will never need more. They think "changing it" will
cause them to have to learn something new, which is difficult for
them. Hence they rather keep their world the same than allow
someone else the satisfaction of making things better for them.
What they don't realize is that their world won't change... so
maybe it's a bit of ignorance too?