Smart pointers instead of GC?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 4 11:07:27 PST 2014

On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 15:52:53 -0500, Adam Wilson <flyboynw at gmail.com> wrote:

> That said, I firmly believe that wholesale replacement of the GC is
> throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Effectively, the poor D GC
> implementation has become an excuse to launch a crusade against all GC's
> everywhere, never mind that Java and the .NET GC's are consistent
> examples of just how good GC's can actually be.

AFAIK, Java's and .NET's GCs require precise collection. This is not
possible in D (at least not fully). While I think we need to move more
towards precise collection, we will never be as good as languages which
have that restriction. Some GC options just aren't available.

I think ARC is good for many (most?) applications, and GC is good for many
as well. We should have an option of both.

I still look forward to the day when I can write iPhone apps in D instead
of objective-C :)

-Steve