Smart pointers instead of GC?

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Tue Feb 4 11:29:25 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 4 February 2014 at 18:19:56 UTC, Matthias Einwag
wrote:
> In my opinion the new model is even harder. ... <skip>

I also find exact implementation considerably over-engineered but
I would never propose to just copy stuff to Rust as-is. What I do
propose to is to acknowledge general principle - build base
language upon allocation-ignorant primitives that provide
ownership semantics and move all advanced memory management to
the library. I sincerely believe that `std .allocator` alone as
presented by Andrei will give D a huge edge when exploring
similar approach.