Two Questions

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Tue Feb 4 12:55:26 PST 2014

On 2/4/2014 11:18 AM, Steve Teale wrote:
> Popped into my head today.
>
> What proportion of the D community develops on Linux of some sort, and
> what proportion works with a 64 bit OS?
>
> And why?

My *main* development is done on a Win7 64-bit machine (even though I
absolutely *hate* all versions of windows post-XP). This is because
Linux still doesn't quite meet all of my needs, even though I've been
itching to switch.

I usually target 32-bit though, partly because of inertia and partly
because I don't want to deal with getting DMD connected up and working
with the MSVC linker. I can never remember how to and last time I tried
I failed (I think my MS toolchain actually ate itself without anything
even touching it).

I also do development on Linux though, partly because I try to be
cross-platform, and also because my server is Linux (the only sensible
choice for a remote server IMO). But my Linux dev is usually on a 32-bit
OS because my CPU is a f*&^$#* Intel and doesn't include hardware
virtualization (which Intel has deemed to be unworthy for anyone not
willing to shell out $$$$$ for high-end hardware), so I can't run 64-bit
VMs.