Smart pointers instead of GC?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Tue Feb 4 18:24:55 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 5 February 2014 at 02:00:00 UTC, Manu wrote:
> I'm saying that ARC is not fundamentally incompatible with many
> kinds of
> workloads, and offers the application a level of flexibility
> that's not
> available under a GC alone. It's an enabler for some whole new
> industries
> to use D with confidence.

That's true, ARC will improve latencies. There is a reason for
why languages like Python, Perl and Php up till now have been
primarily ARC based, but are moving more towards GC as CPU speed
has increased. The freeze-the-world time GC provides was
unacceptable 15-20 years ago, even for non-realtime stuff.

It is also true that ARC+GC will make the GC run very seldom,
perhaps never, depending on the thresholds you set up and the
patterns you use.