Two Questions [OT]

evilrat evilrat666 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 04:41:15 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 5 February 2014 at 12:33:25 UTC, 1100110 wrote:
> On 2/4/14, 11:27, Gary Willoughby wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 4 February 2014 at 16:18:24 UTC, Steve Teale wrote:
>>> Popped into my head today.
>>>
>>> What proportion of the D community develops on Linux of some
>>> sort, and
>>> what proportion works with a 64 bit OS?
>>
>> I primarily use Ubuntu (Linux) 12.04 64bit. I'll update to
>> 14.04 when
>> that comes out as i only install the LTS (long term support)
>> versions.
>>
>>> And why?
>>
>> Because it the easiest platform to install and get my hands on
>> development tools. sudo apt-get install for the win!
>>
>> I use MacOS 10.8.5 64bit at work and have done lots of D
>> development
>> there too. The big downside is lack of a package manager for
>> getting my
>> hands on GCC/GDB/libs etc.. Homebrew[1] helps but is no match
>> for apt.
>>
>> [1]: http://brew.sh/
>
> Quick question, Just got a Mac, currently setting it up.  You'd
> recommend Brew over the alternatives?  Sorry, rather new to
> developing with this OS...

the sad truth is that there is no convenient way of doing D on OS
X, but recent changes in Mono-D have brough some ease to it
actually. still forget about any debug because there is NO DEBUG
INFO generated with both DMD & LDC (not tested GDC yet).

as for GDB and other GNU stuff, yes brew is simple enough to get
it done.