Two Questions [OT]

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Feb 5 08:00:26 PST 2014

On Wed, 2014-02-05 at 07:55 -0600, 1100110 wrote:
> On 2/5/14, 6:55, Gary Willoughby wrote:
[…]
> > Yes use brew *not* macports. The reason is brew is more well behaved
> > where it installs libs and doesn't need root permissions.
>
> Oh good, I came very close to installing macports yesterday.  Thanks!

I started using MacPorts long before Brew existed. MacPorts has improved
massively over the last couple of years. If I was starting from scratch
I would probably install Brew, but now I'm a MacPort user I'll probably
stick. Brew refuses to install on a MacPort using machine, and there
seems no way of telling Brew to install it's version of everything there
was in a MacPort installation. AFAIK anyway.

For packagers I would say targetting an installer, MacPorts and Brew for
OSX is like doing a tarball, deb and rpm for Linux.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk