Updating dlang.org documentation

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Wed Feb 5 10:42:55 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 5 February 2014 at 18:09:58 UTC, Russel Winder
wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-02-05 at 18:01 +0000, Brad Anderson wrote:
> […]
>> make -f {posix.mak/win32.mak} html (choose the right makefile
>> for your platform)
>
> I wonder that the developer cannot just say make and the make
> scripts
> sort out which platform the person is on.

My understanding (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) is that
platform specific makefiles are used to account for different
versions of "make" itself, not to customize the actual build for
specific platforms (although this has happened by consequence of
the makefiles being split by platform). A unified makefile has
been desired but it'd require everyone to acquire and use
compatible versions of "make" on every platform and that is more
tricky. On Windows, Digital Mars "make" is provided with DMD/DMC
so its rather easy for everyone to get their hands on.