Idea #1 on integrating RC with GC

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Feb 5 14:32:51 PST 2014

On 2/5/14, 1:10 PM, Dicebot wrote:
> tl; dr: it does not matter if this topic proposal works or not, it is
> simply an effort put into the wrong place

Noted. On the face of it it seems odd that reference counted chunks of
typed memory are deemed useless, at the tail of a discussion discussing
in great detail the important advantages of reference counting. I should
also add that imparting useful semantics to scope is much more difficult
than it might seem. In contrast, reference counted slices are realizable
in the current language with a relatively small (scoped! :o)) library
effort and can be put to use immediately. I see a lot of good reasons to
add them to Phobos regardless of the larger memory allocation changes we
plan to make.

Andrei