Idea #1 on integrating RC with GC

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.ca
Thu Feb 6 03:44:34 PST 2014

On 2014-02-06 04:56:28 +0000, Andrei Alexandrescu

> On 2/5/14, 4:53 PM, Michel Fortin wrote:
>> On 2014-02-05 22:19:27 +0000, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> said:
>>
>>> I want to make one positive step toward improving memory allocation in
>>> the D language.
>>
>> I know. But I find your proposal confusing.
>>
>> Perhaps this is just one piece in your master plan where everything will
>> make sense once we have all the pieces. But this piece by itself makes
>> no sense to me; I have no idea where you're going with it.
>>
>> Is this the continuation of the old thread where you wanted ideas about
>> how to eliminate hidden allocations in buildPath? Doesn't sound like it.
>
> Actually buildPath is a good example because it concatenates strings.
> It should work transparently with RC and GC strings.

That thread about buildPath started like this: "Walter and I were
talking about eliminating the surreptitious allocations in buildPath".
But reference counting will do nothing to eliminate surreptitious
allocations. It can't be that problem you're trying to address.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.ca
http://michelf.ca