Disadvantages of ARC

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Thu Feb 6 05:44:04 PST 2014

I still wonder where the idea of replacing GC with something as a
silver bullet came from. There is no problem with GC itself as
you can remove it easily. Problem is state of language after it
was removed and it is something completely different and
unrelated.

All this ARC fuss came from few speculative discussions and
suddenly got caught with great attention for reasons I fail to
understand. And doing something like going for ARC by default is
just crazy - it will make life more difficult for majority of
users that don't care and won't fix many real issues for vocal
minority.

Real helping problems to be addressed instead in my opinion:
1) providing RC-based gc_stub
2) -vgc and/or better control over hidden allocation
3) removing as much internal allocations as possible from Phobos,
move to output ranges instead
4) provide examples of containers befriended with std.allocator

Not related to memory management but demanded in same domain -
fix symbol boat, __forceinline

As you may notice, reference counting is just a one tiny part
here and only desired as some way to get non-leaking basic
language in absence of gc. And probably least important.

All recent threads just make me frustrated despite being one of
pushers for better low-level memory management options.