Disadvantages of ARC

Max Klyga email at domain.com
Thu Feb 6 11:15:39 PST 2014

On 2014-02-06 15:47:05 +0000, Johannes Pfau said:

> Am Thu, 6 Feb 2014 14:37:59 +0300
> schrieb Max Klyga <max.klyga at gmail.com>:
>

>> My point is that we should not ruin the language ease of use. We do
>> need to deal with Phobos internal allocations, but we should not
>> switch to ARC as a default memory management scheme.
>
> snip

I wholeheartedly agree that we should define methods in phobos taking
output buffers/ranges.
One of the reasons Tango xml parser was the fastest in the world was
because almost every method/function in Tango was takinig output buffer
as argument and never allocated unless asked specifically.

This would allow everyone chosing a method of memory management most
suited for their domain.