Disadvantages of building a compiler and library on top of a specific memory management scheme

Frustrated c1514843 at drdrb.com
Thu Feb 6 12:01:18 PST 2014

On Thursday, 6 February 2014 at 18:18:49 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 2/6/14, 9:54 AM, Frustrated wrote:
>> Any time you hard code code something you are also creating
>> constraints.  If people build something on top of what you have
>> built they inherit those constrains.
>
> Nice thought.
>
>> So, why not create a design pattern that allows one, at compile
>> time, to use any specific memory management technique they want
>> for the runtime and library(and user code)?
>
> We have a very powerful mechanism for what could be called
> "statically deferred committal": templates. Phobos did a great
> job at not committing to e.g. range representation or string
> representation. It seems to me we have a clean shot at applying
> the wealth of knowledge and experience we accumulated with
> that, to deferring approaches to allocation.
>
>> e.g., switches could be used to recompile the source when a
>> different pattern is desired or libraries could be created that
>> use different methods. e.g., phobos64GC.lib.
>
> That won't even be necessary with templates. It would be
> necessary if we have some sort of global flag dictating a
> fundamental fork.

Yeah, I was thinking templates could be used here to good effect.

>> To make any of this work, and work efficiently, one must
>> abstract
>> what is common between all memory management techniques.
>>
>> Since allocation is always explicitly defined, it is easy to
>> handle. Which every  memory management technique is used, it
>> would be called/notified on allocation. The deallocation is the
>> tricky part. (reallocation is another potential issue)
>
> Yah, std.allocator aims at formalizing that (in an untyped
> manner).

yeah, and I think it is definitely a step in the right
direction... Just have to get the core and library to be along
those lines.

>> For manual memory management the deallocation is explicitly
>> called by the user. This in and of itself is significant and
>> either allows the compiler to know that manual memory
>> management
>> is used or to replace it with automatic management if desired.
>>
>> e.g.,
>>
>> {
>> auto a = new!strategy A;
>>
>> release a; // <- explicit deallocation: replaced with
>> strategy.explicitDeallocation(a);
>> }
>>
>> vs
>>
>> {
>> auto a = new!strategy A;
>>
>> // implicit deallocation: compiler inserts
>> strategy.scopeDeallocation(a);
>> }
>
> I don't think this works. The scope of "strategy" and "a" may
> be unrelated. More importantly a may be escaped (e.g. by
> passing it to functions etc) unbeknownst to "strategy", which
> in fact suggests that the strategy must be somehow known by "a"
> independently.

See the other post about this. scopeDeallocation meant to simply
signal that the scope of a has ended but not necessarily there
are no references to a. Would be used more in AGC and ARC than
anything but could be used in other ways.

The idea, I think, is to have the compiler insert as much
implicit information as possible to handle stuff with the ability
to override with explicit calls and to even override what the
implicit calls do.

It would sort of have the effect of adding "hooks" into the
compiler to tell it what to do on allocations and deallocations.