Operational Professionalism

Mike none at none.com
Thu Feb 6 20:37:41 PST 2014

On Friday, 7 February 2014 at 03:36:32 UTC, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> "Mike"  wrote in message
> news:xtizbktwrvedtszcawhj at forum.dlang.org...
>> That list is not complete.  I know of two that aren't on this
>> list:
>> 1) alias {newSymbol} {existingSymbol};
>
> Not deprecated.
>
>> 2) new(...) allocator.  delete is there, but new isn't
>
> It has definitely been talked about, but that != officially
> deprecated.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.  You claim to know what
is and isn't deprecated, but others in this community have stated
otherwise.  How do you know? You got the information from
somewhere, where did you get it?

Perhaps these features are not "deprecated", but "discouraged".
We need to know that too.

I'm in the process of modelling a 1500 page MCU datasheet in D.
Each field in each register is modeled with an "alias" statement.
  There will be several hundred of these when I'm done.  I already
went down one path based on the documentation.  Then the
community told me it was deprecated and I should go the other way.

So, I submitted a pull request to update the documentation, and
it was merged.

I was even going to take on the task of modifying the D Runtime
to use the supposedly "new" syntax, in an effort to be helpful.
Now I'm not so sure I should.

I also began building a class hierarchy based on the new(...) and
destroy(), based on the documentation.  Only to find a day or so
ago that new(...) is discouraged/deprecated.

> I can't speak for all the other contributors, but if this was a
> requirement I would fix less bugs.  I have zero interest in
> writing documentation and interest is what drives me to
> generate compiler patches in my spare time.

> I wrote most of the deprecated features page and by the end I
> wanted to blow my brains out.

I don't really like updating the GDC wiki, migrating its bug
reports, or submitting pull request to fix DLang.org
documentation, but I did/do it because I care and I want these
efforts to succeed.

Mike