List of Phobos functions that allocate memory?

Marc Schütz" <schuetzm at gmx.net> Marc Schütz" <schuetzm at gmx.net>
Fri Feb 7 06:26:47 PST 2014

On Thursday, 6 February 2014 at 22:15:11 UTC, Brad Anderson wrote:
> Personally I don't think bad user input qualifies as an
> exceptional case because it's expected to happen and the
> program is expected to handle it (and let the user know) when
> it does. That's just a matter of taste though.

Hmm... then what _does_ qualify as exceptional in your opinion?

A logic error (i.e. a mistake on the programmers side) doesn't,
IMO, it should abort instead. On the other hand, there is the
class of situations where e.g. a system call returns an error
(say, "permission denied" when opening a file, or out of disk
space). Or more generally, an external service, like a database
or a remote server. However, I can't see how these are
fundamentally different from invalid user input, and indeed,
there's often not even a clear separation, e.g. when a user asked
you to read a file they don't have access to.

So, what's left then?