Idea #1 on integrating RC with GC

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 02:05:22 PST 2014

On 6 February 2014 21:59, <"Ola Fosheim Grøstad\"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>"@puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 6 February 2014 at 11:29:35 UTC, Manu wrote:
>
>> Some that I regularly encounter: system libs, opengl, directx, fmod,
>> physics (havok, phyzx, etc), animation (euphoria, natural
>>

> And just to nitpick:
>
> 1. Games are hit or miss with a very short life cycle. This is not
> typical. Most software have a life cycle counted in years with contractual
> support requirements that can be harsh, not months with very little
> possibility of damage claims for the end user.

I don't think you've mage a game recently.
Most big games are multi-year projects with teams numbering well in the
hundreds, and then downloadable-content (ie, after-market content) is
basically a given these days, and often supported by a different team than
initially wrote the code.

2. The life cycle of games is porting when your product succeeds. You are
> F*CK*D if you don't have source code access and want to port to an emerging
> platform, so I believe you can obtain source code for libraries like Havoc
> and FMOD for that reason alone.
>
> I really don't think closed source libraries should be the focus of D if
> it prevents having a good infrastructure.

I didn't say they should be a focus, I'm saying they must however be
supported.