Two Questions

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Feb 9 11:58:27 PST 2014

On Sun, 2014-02-09 at 18:16 +0000, Steve Teale wrote:
[…]
> OK, I'm clear about why Linux, but 64 bit I'm less clear about.
> What's the attraction about a system that's a memory hog, but not
> noticeably quicker, and where you have to do cross compilation to
> make applications that are usable by the vast proportion of world
> computer users?

I do not understand the "memory hog" gibe, but yes 32-bit, 64-bit is not
a speed thing. Everyone I know who uses a computer always has 8GB or
more of memory, so 32-bit OS is not an option. I guess the vast
proportion of world computer users are now phone and tablet users so yes
can probably survive with a mere 32-bit OS.

Developers with a decent system should have no problem at all building
both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, so I don't see "cross compilation" as
an issue. A far bigger issue is how the $$$$ can you support all the
variants of Windows, OSX, Linux, etc. without a CI/build farm. This is
why we like the JVM ;-)

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk