Idea #1 on integrating RC with GC

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Feb 9 20:22:33 PST 2014

On 2/9/14, 1:06 PM, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
[snip]
> I think one needs profiled whole program analysis to get there. I think
> one needs to aim for upcoming hardware architectures. I think one need
> to back it up with programmer specified constraints and hints. I think
> one needs high level optimization in addition to low level. I think one
> needs a very light and transparent runtime with tuneable low cost
> allocation schemes.
>
> I also think one needs to reduce the focus on separate compilation with
> no knowledge about what goes on inside an object file and C++/C ABIs.

Your thoughts are appreciated (all 6 of them in as many sentences).
There is something to be said, however, about armchair quarterbacking
and holier-than-thou kibitzing on what others should be doing. This
community is as close as it gets to a meritocracy, so if you think you
know what's good, you do good. If you want your stupendously many "I
think"s to carry weight, follow them with some "I do"s as well. Hop on
github. This endless walk through your knowledge base just isn't useful.

Andrei