Idea #1 on integrating RC with GC

francesco cattoglio francesco.cattoglio at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 23:58:48 PST 2014

On Monday, 10 February 2014 at 04:26:10 UTC, Manu wrote:
> Sorry, I obviously mean, "the only *games* company..."
That was a given. However I think AAA titles have the manpower to
avoid those pauses, since the amount of work toward optimization
is huge anyway, am I right? Ofc you still need minimal backend
from the compiler and runtime support. If you lack control on
internals, there's no way for you to optimize anything.
> And people seem to forget promptly after every single time I
> repeat myself:
>  * The GC frequency of execution is directly proportional to
> the amount of
> _free memory_. In console games; NONE.
>  * The length of the associated pause is directly proportional
> to the
> amount of memory currently in use. In console games; all of it.
For "simple" games, it would be nice to have a better GC and cut
down allocations from the standard library. I guess that would
suffice, no need to move to ARC.