Idea #1 on integrating RC with GC

Xavier Bigand flamaros.xavier at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 13:17:20 PST 2014

Le 09/02/2014 11:16, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" a écrit :
> On Sunday, 9 February 2014 at 10:06:12 UTC, Manu wrote:
>> I don't think you've mage a game recently.
>
> Pointless comment.
>
>> Most big games are multi-year projects with teams numbering well in the
>
> Most games are not big.
> Most games fail in the marketplace.
>
>> I didn't say they should be a focus, I'm saying they must however be
>> supported.
>
> Must is a strong word, but since D is focusing on separate compilation
> it probably is a focus.
>
> Why are most comments about the application domain for D centered on
> "prestigious" projects such as AAA games, high volume trading system and
> safety critical appliations?
>
> The most likely application domain is a lot less "exciting": tools and
> simple servers.
>
> Get down to earth, plz.

Maybe if performances are not really critical, developers can already
use Java or C# with a GC?
IMO D have to target all applications have to be written in C/C++, where
performances or portability, scalability,... are critical.
Java and C# developers already have a lot of good tools that C/C++
developers doesn't have, we need love too :-)
D claims to be a system language so it's normal to expect to be able to
use it on critical ways easily, and maybe lesser for simple applications
can already done with actual proven technologies.

D is already more complicate to use than Java or C#, just take a look of
keywords,... but it's not surprising for a system language with advanced
features than other languages doesn't support.
IMO D programmers want have a great control on memory even if it can be
a pain.

We can let D satisfy ego of few developers doesn't already have the need
of a such language on some points since it is already much less error
prone than C++. :-)