Idea #1 on integrating RC with GC

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Feb 10 15:20:50 PST 2014

On 2/10/14, 4:04 AM, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
> One hobby of mine is to read Intel/AMD CPU docs, raytracing papers and
> compiler stuff, and discussing those aspects and improving my
> understanding of those areas is fun. I am loosing hope in that direction
> for D, because I don't think D has anyone with a strong interest in
> project management that can drive it in that direction. The responses
> from the D leads shows signs, not of a lack of skills, but a lack of
> interest in project management "theory" (and unfortunately, that is an
> area where I know the theory quite well since I majored in that area).

Terrific. The challenge here is to adapt project management theory to
the realities of a volunteer project.

> Instead of A.A. and W.B. going defensive (and yes it is painful to see
> your child get a needle in the foot at the doctor to get that vaccine
> that will keep the child healthy in the long term) they should try to
> get someone into the team of leads that has an interest in software
> development process and software process improvement.

We're not getting defensive here. Clearly we could and should move
faster than we do, and there must be ways to be better at that. I'm all
ears on advice on how to do better. I just have difficulty seeing how
more management would help.

Andrei